Thursday, May 13, 2010

What Am I Going To Do With This?

I have been asked that question a bazillion times since I started my training and up until recently my answer was always the same: "I have no idea." Of course the seed was planted from a reactive place inside of me that day in 2008 when I received my first pink slip. I say first because I got one again the next year, and this year as well. Actually I have already accepted the fact that I will get one again next year too.
Every training that I've gone to so far has been a great opportunity for me to meet new people and talk about how they are fitting yoga into their daily lives beyond their personal practice. And here is what I have discovered so far:
Most of them are already teaching and are getting paid to do so. Am I? Well sort of. I am teaching a weekly class to some of the teachers at my school (more about THAT in another post) but they don't pay me. As part of my Level 1 training I am required to do 8 hours of "community service", which means teach for free somewhere. We are encouraged to try to bring yoga to a community of people who have never done it before. That was easy. Almost all of my collegues are so bogged down with planning lessons and grading papers that they certainly don't have time to do anything for themselves. I have 2 more hours to go to fulfill my 8-hour requirement. So will I start to charge them after that? Probably not. They'd probably stop coming! Maybe at the beginning of next year.....
Another thing I discovered while "networking" with my new yogi friends was that a lot of them are currently teaching in a 24-Hour Fitness gym. Do I see myself doing that? No way. I can just see me walking around some cold impersonal room with one of those headsets on. I don't think so!!!
A few of them are teaching in a small yoga studio somewhere to those O.C. housewives. Nothing against women who all look like Barbie, but I already work in a community like that. And again it would be working for someone else. Don't think I wanna do that either.
So what do I want to do? There's that nagging question again. One yogi I met named Kay told me about how she simply made a flyer and passed it around her neighborhood advertising a sunset class that she teaches in her backyard. That sounds cool. I could do that. Now I just need a backyard. Actually that's where the title of my blog came from: OM to Home. My dream is to bring yoga to others in the privacy of their own home, backyard, or maybe even a beach.
So that's my answer to that burning question: I will become a private yoga instructor. And who knows, maybe even get paid!

No comments:

Post a Comment