Thursday, July 1, 2010

Do you feel something pulling or is it just me?

I already know the answer to that question. It is just me. And it's a really strong pull. After playing yoga games all day in Sacramento at the Healthy Habits studio I felt like my entire being was being pulled farther and farther away from the bureaucracy of my public education life. And I know yoga isn't the only thing pulling it.
Since I always talk about where my trainings are held let me talk about Healthy Habits first. It was an old Victorian house that had been converted into one of my many dreams. I say many because I have quite a few. There's the horse ranch complete with the hunky cowboy wearing wranglers and boots, there's the funky little bakery attached to a funky little used bookstore with a sign hanging on the door that says: "gone hiking.....please put your money in the coffee can next to the plate of chocolate chip cookies", and there's the driving around the country side in an RV camping in every state along the way. And then of course there's the yoga studio. This one had it all. Two studios downstairs along with a Zen Den, which I'm guessing was used as a meditation room. The upstairs had at least 4 massage rooms that I think were rented out by the month to local massage therapists. Another profession I thought about pursuing. Out of all of the trainings so far, this location is definitely my personal favorite for many reasons besides just this cute victorian.
Rose, the owner of Healthy Habits, was our trainer for the YogaFit Kids class. She had just the right balance of bubbliness and that calming persona so prevalent with yogis. We pretended to be six-year-olds and played games such as "bowling for butterflies". I was totally in my element and finally had the opportunity to share my own personal experiences with teaching yoga to my own students. By the end of the first day my desire to bring yoga to children and perhaps others was firmly cemented into my soul.
And then came the Anatomy Class. Two very long days of too much sitting and listening and not enough doing. Our trainer's name was Theresa and she really knew her stuff. By lunchtime on the first day my brain was on complete overload and I felt like it was going to implode at any given moment. I found myself playing with my iphone and wishing I could be somewhere else. Fortunately we got to finally move on the second day. We did an hour-long class where all of her verbal cues included words such as lateral flexion and for the first time in two days it started to make sense. Now that that class is behind me I can plow through the 3 manuals and absorb the information at my own pace. Hopefully most of it will sink in before I attend Level 4 on the conference in Palm Springs. But for now I will continue to take it slow and steady and enjoy my glorious summer vacation from public education.

No comments:

Post a Comment